After we finish our goal design and gameplay design. We started to actually implementing the gameplay. The engines are being fired up and classes constructed in Visual Studio that loads the map, handles the physics and the gameplay input, etc. However, before a part of the game is completed and tested, nobody, even the programmer himself would know how the game would have worked. So testing is important.
Since our gameplay is simple, anything that will make the gameplay harder should be considered unfitting and should be fixed.
One such problem that surfaces through testing is that the wall runs are registered differently and sometimes it will not work, resulting the player fall off during the wall jump and run if they jumped from a specific angle. Luckily, this gets discovered very soon and is easy to fix.
Another problem is related to how the engine handles the camera in relation of the player’s screen. Since the engine registers camera angles and position differently from what we actually saw on-screen, the shots would miss if the camera is in an odd position ( for example, if the camera, for some reason, is not related to the player – often resulted by shooting while falling or wall-running). We thought of taking out the option of shooting when the player is in odd positions, but ultimately decided against so since this drifts from the initial goal: The player should be able to aim and shoot at any given time. Thus, additional works are done on the camera class to ensure that the bullets fire track is more closer to what the player will actually see on screen.
We are starting to make a tutorial stage with a special arena together with instructions to both familiar the players and serves of the further playtesting stage for our own. Our prototype will be featuring this tutorial stage too.